Don't mess about too much



I love Chilli Con Carne. The recipe I use is one I got from a cookbook granted but it's the love and care I put in that makes it great, right :-)

So anyway, I've always made it using New Mex Chillis or a combination of New Mex and Ancho. Well I decided to experiment a little bit the other day and combined New Mex and Passilla.

I also used a little more dried chilli than I usually do, wanting a little more heat.

Well... the result was a firebreather and a half. While it was great to my taste my sister and my dad said woohoo too hot. The Passilla's may be used for something else next time.

Now, making chilli con carne. To be honest a good chilli for me should be made with chunks of chuck steak cooked slowly with beef broth, a cup of pure mild chilli powder (or a combination of mild chillis), a little mexican oregano or marjoram, a sprinkling of chilli flakes and some cumin.

That's really it. I know you get some people who go on about adding beans and tomatoes. In truth I'm not gonna sit here and tell you what is traditional and what isn't The fact is you should play a little.

Just be careful of the chillis you use ;-)

0 comments:

Post a Comment