Following the recipe



"I don't need to follow a recipe, I am great."

How often have you said that or something similar. I know I went by that addage for many years.

While mostly we get good results by just using the recipe as a guide often we miss out on the true flavours of what we are cooking.

Remember, when these recipes are written they go through rigorous testing in a test kitchen. Well, the ones in cookbooks and most cooking magazines do, the ones on line often don't.

It's important that when you do first cook something try your best to follow the recipe to the letter. That way you get an idea for what it should taste like so next time you can play a little.

Sometimes it can be hard though. Some ingredients you just can't find. I have looked all over Adelaide for a good variety of fresh chillis and that aint happening. So do you completely skip that recipe.

This is where you might have to bite the bullet and start substituting. Try your hardest to follow the recipe I said.

But substituting is dangerous if you have no idea what something should taste like.

Mexican food is my speciality, I love it, and I know it pretty well. I'm not a professional chef, but I do know enough to be confidant with substitutions.

For example, and you may have noticed this in my recipes. Mexican Oregano can be tricky to come by. Fortunately here in Adelaide we have a few places you can pick it up.

The thing is, while it is called Oregano it is not the same beast as the much sweeter Mediteranean Oregano. The closest mainstream herb I have found is Marjoram, it has a very smilar taste and won't change your dish.

Chillis are the other issue. Those long thin things you see in the supermarket or pepper tasting hybrids. Great for stirfries or the like but not great substitutes if a recipes calls for a particular chilli.

Do I bite the bullet and say no Mexican cooking any more. Oh lord no. I've found Polanos can be replaced reasonably well with banana caps or small green peppers. The taste is different, but not that far from the original.

Some of the other chilli varieties. You may need to get on line and get the seeds and grow yourself. Hard work but most rewarding.

0 comments:

Post a Comment